Graduate Research

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Connecting Video Games and Storytelling to Teach Narrative: Composition by Zoevera Ann Jackson

I really liked this article. While the argument in support of using video games to teach writing wasn't too well supported, I did think it was a good idea, especially in the practical sense of teaching creative writing. I'm all about practicality, and I think if you show student writers how they can actually use writing to make a buck after school. (In fact, I'm surprised that more people in the class don't support teaching brochures, as it certainly shows organization and focus, as well as good detail, and it's a skill many writers use in marketing.) I don't know if I'd teach writing for video games in the composition classroom, but I'd love it in the creative writing class.