Graduate Research

Monday, June 07, 2004

Teaching with the World Wide Web by Handa

I very much like this article because it points out one of the real pluses of teaching writing via the Web: bringing in techniques other than strict text in order to teach writing. While reading is obviously an important factor of learning to write, as teachers we need to realize that students respond to different types of stimula, including images. Showing students that communication happens through several mediums -- photos, movies, and even where texts is placed -- appeals to the students that think more visually than through words. And as much as I like to write, I have to admit that when I get a brochure, the first thing I do is look at the images. They're important, and students should learn to recognize their uses and how they are also used to sway them.