Graduate Research

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Electronicc Collaboration in the Humanities by James Inman

To be honest, I'm surprised James wrote this one. His voice isn't reflected at all.

Anyhoo, I'm sorry I missed class on Thursday because James mentioned to me that he'd spoke to the class about the article, and this one was difficult for me to wade through. However, the section that stuck with me was the social impact of using electronic methods to record our writing.

The Internet is so big right now, but after all, it's not all that old -- what, about 25 years? And what if all of the work we're doing turns into some big Encyclopedia Brittanica from 1948, outdated and dusty and no one referring to it in another 100 years? It's hard to consider because the Internet is so encompassing right now ... but then, I watched a rerun of "Beverly Hills 90210" this week, when the kids were making a time capsule, and one of them threw in a floppy disk, saying, "When this gets dug up in 50 years, probably no one will know what it is." Honey, I don't own one now, a whole ten or fifteen years later.