Graduate Research

Friday, May 14, 2004

Towards Electricity by Ulmerr/Memmott

The most interesting part of this reading, to me, was the concept that the
"Web is a book." I have trouble with this because, as we
mentioned in class, there is no accountability for accuracy on the Web. While
books certainly have mistakes in them, there's a bit more carefulness in the
printed word because there's no changing it. Once it's on paper and bound in a
cover, well, that's it until the next revision. So the author tends to be a bit
more careful.

I have students who are frightened to write simply because they find paper so
intimidating -- I usually crumple up a piece of paper in front of them and say,
"It's only paper. You can make mistakes on it." Yet when it
comes to publishing, that's an entirely different thing, isn't it?

I do like the Web b/c of the accessibility -- I can get the works of anyone
without making a trip to the library. Yet, for this class, the printouts are
smudged and I can't read some of them, I can't seem to log onto my research
blog, and I have carpal tunnel so the typing is rough. I'm also starting to get
some eye strain.

I'm online more than not, but right now I'm frustrated.