Graduate Research

Sunday, May 23, 2004

On Writing Well: Springing the Genie by G. Douglas Atkins

I fear that my New Orleans vacation has put me behind in my posting, so I'm going to try to catch up on several tonight.

Atkins points out the blissfulness of writing with a pen and being computer illiterate. He depends on a secretary, however, to word process all of his stuff for him, so it's not really as though he can do without a computer. He just makes somebody else work the tool.

I think the most important part of this article focuses on whether or not writing with a computer, versus a pen, makes us write differently. The first part of the article focuses on the creative process; since I study both creative writing and rhet/comp, this is one of the important pieces of writing that I'm studying closely. I'm beginning to think that the fine line between the two camps is learning to write aptly, and then learning to write well. However, there are a lot of intersections between these two camps, which I hope to look into more in the coming years.