Graduate Research

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Masiello, Lea. "Voices from the Writing Center: It's Okay to Be Creative -- A Role for the Imagination in Basic-Writing Courses." Colors of a D.H.

As I finish annotating this book, I'm beginning to see emerging patterns in what the authors say, both in this book and in Creative Writing in America: 1. That teachers need to use both composition and creative writing strategies in the classroom. 2. That the different types of writing don't necessarily need to be differentiated from in the classroom. 3. That creative writing is thought of as "fun" and composition is thought of as "work."

So I'm going to concentrate on just the new things I'm learning in the last chapters of this book, in the interest of my time. So, I like what is said here: "We often think of basic-writing courss as providing instruction in basic "skills," such as composing complete sentences, punctuating sentences accurately, and structuring the college essay. However we do students a terrible disserve when we emphasize skills in a basic-writing course; instead, we need to emphasize the development of identity and confidence. Imaginative invention activities can be used in basic-writing courses to build identity and confidence very successfully, and these activities will be especially effective when combined with support from peer tutors in a writing center" (208).

So basically it reaffirms what I've said before, although it is stretched to the writing center this time, which I think is great. A few years back someone at the USF Writing Center said they wanted me to work there because they needed someone who understood creative writing there to help THOSE students ... like they were compositionists, and creative writing was separate from that.