Graduate Research

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Brand, Alice G. "On Seeing the Green Parrot and the Green Salad." Colors of a Different Horse.

Just one nugget here I'd like to emphasize: "Despite the persuasive power of Peter Elbow's and Donald Murray's writing pedagogies, expressive writing -- wholly legitimate in creative writing -- is considered merely instrumental in academic discourse, intended to be left behind as quickly as possible" (146). Funnily enough, these two teachers are those to whom I cling the most in my studies, most likely because I'm a creative writer. I don't know if they are dismissed as easily as Brand says here, but it could make sense that it is why academic writing is pushed so hard in first-year composition classes, rather than writing that might make a personal difference to a student.